Welcome to the Interrogation Room, GameSpy's signature pre-release game coverage format. Here, a GameSpy editor (typically one who's relatively in-the-dark about the game in question) grills his peers for information on a hotly anticipated game -- hopefully with more entertaining results than the typical boilerplate preview would provide.


Ryan Scott, Executive Editor: So, Nathan Drake's going portable, eh? What's the basic gist oh his first handheld foray, and how does it look on the Next Generation Portable?

Will Tuttle, Editor in Chief: Not only is Nathan going portable, his first handheld adventure is undoubtedly the crown jewel of the NGP's launch lineup. Uncharted: Golden Abyss takes place before Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, the first game in the series, although it's not a prequel or anything like that. This is a standalone adventure -- a good direction to take for a series that isn't quite a cultural touchstone yet. Sony could have made a prequel or sequel, but I think it would have angered fans who didn't want to shell out the hundreds of dollars that the NGP is sure to cost. As for the story itself, well, I don't know much yet. I only had a chance to check out one level, in which Drake and his new partner Dante spent a bunch of time in a jungle, climbing ledges and exploring ruins. Go with what you know, right?

Ryan Scott: How does it feel on the NGP, versus the series' PlayStation 3 installments? Does the system work well?

Will Tuttle: You know, I really wasn't sure what to think about the NGP. I remember being quite smitten with the PSP when it was first unveiled, then quickly fell out of love once it became clear that developers weren't supporting it -- and that when they did, the results were pretty weak. So I was on guard during these demos, but I left very impressed. Golden Abyss was a big reason for that feeling, as the game uses all of the system's bells and whistles in some really smart, non-gimmicky ways. The developers at Sony Bend really utilized the system's power to shove a bunch of impressive technical features into the game, including the same motion-capture and animations used in the PlayStation 3 games, realistic physics and water effects, and dynamic lighting and shaders. In case you don't know what any of that stuff means, here's the abridged version: Hot damn, does this game look good. The developers also mentioned that over two hours of cut-scenes will convey the story. Some people might find that annoying, but fans of the franchise's stylish storytelling know that this could be a very good thing.


Ryan Scott: What kinds of stuff is Nathan up to this time around? I mean, I'm sure PS3 Uncharted fans will be understandably skeptic of how well this huge series translates to a handheld, especially as the PSP is kind of noted as being home to watered-down versions of existing games.

Will Tuttle: This definitely doesn't look like a watered-down Uncharted game; this sucker was built from the ground up to take advantage of the NGP's unique control scheme. At first, I was afraid that any touch controls would feel gimmicky, but it quickly became apparent that they're actually better than the button/analog controls in some cases. I particularly liked the platforming elements, which are typically my favorite parts of the console Uncharted games. All I needed to do to climb from one ledge to the next was swipe my finger across the screen in that general direction, and Nathan would jump. The same went for shimmying along ledges. It may not sound like much, but it really felt quite cool, and I actually found the touch controls to be a bit more responsive than the face buttons and analog sticks. I think people will appreciate that you can play either way if you'd like, especially since you don't need to go into any menu to switch schemes. They even incorporated the system's tilt feature, as you can use it to lean into jumps from ledges or swing on ropes. It's all very simple and doesn't feel gimmicky in the least.

Ryan Scott: Any other cool stuff to discuss? Is this going to be an NGP launch title, and is it in competition with anything else for "killer app?" status?

Will Tuttle: Well, the combat seems pretty decent -- especially given the fact that the NGP has the dual-analog stick setup that the PSP was sorely lacking. I liked the way that mechanics such as reloading are handled, as all I needed to do was tap the weapon's icon on the screen to make Nathan pop a fresh clip in. The touchscreen can also be used to throw grenades, although the first time I tried it, I attempted to tap where I wanted the grenade to land, instead dropping it at my feet and nearly killing myself. What I should have done was press the touchscreen and held my finger on it, then created a throwing arc to direct the grenade along its chosen path. Golden Abyss even has a a touchpad-based melee system, although in many cases, I found myself resorting to the face buttons instead. This wasn't for any particular reason; it was mainly because my brain still hadn't completely wrapped itself around the fact that I could use the touchscreen.

As for Uncharted: Golden Abyss' launch date, well, that's still up in the air, since we don't even have a hard launch date for the system itself. My gut tells me that Sony will do whatever it takes to get Nathan Drake's latest adventure out the door with the NGP, since this definitely falls into the killer app category (with a handful of other games, like Wipeout 2048 and Super Stardust Delta). Regardless of whether or not it pushes people to run out and buy the system, this is undoubtedly one of the most impressive portable games I've ever seen.